Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

Gluten-free toast to the new year (21 and older)


Here we are. The final days of the first decade of 2000 and I'm preparing for some good, adult beverages to mark the occasion. I was thinking of making martinis or cranberry cocktails at a small gathering I'm attending. Santa brought me a bottle of Grey Goose vodka, which will fit the bill.

However, as I visited the Web site for some recipes, I was amazed to see a video of amber waves of grain blowing freely in the intro. In appears that Grey Goose is a wheat vodka made in France, distilled and filtered "through Champagne limestone." This isn't something I'm thinking about for my 6-year-old, obviously, but I wondered what gluten-free adults might be drinking on New Year's Eve.

Here is what I found out:

1. Most distilled alcohols don't bother people with celiac. They are reported to be gluten-free. For those with very, very high sensitivities an alternative, such as Tito's Vodka made in Texas, may be sought. Check out the site here. There is just one place to buy the brand in Michigan, NWS in Brownstown. The vodka is made of 100% corn. Zodiac vodka is made of potatoes. And vermouth is made of grapes for martini drinkers.

2. Generally, wine and champagne are gluten-free. Some report that wine produced in barrels outside the U.S. may come into contact with flour, but is generally safe. Here is a good place for a list of wines and champagnes that are safe and more information on contamination. Wine coolers are NOT gluten-free.

3. Scotch whiskey is reported to be gluten-free, which was interesting to me since this is an alcohol made of barley! But, many associations report that when the alcohol is distilled, the gluten in the barley is removed. Check it out here. Maker's Mark is a gluten-free bourbon.

4. Some cheaper tequillas are NOT gluten-free, although they are made of agave. Check with the manufacturer or go with the list linked to in point No. 2. Cuervo products and margarita mixes are gluten-free.

5. Gluten-free beer is easier to find lately. I found some at Hiller's, Whole Foods and even at a newer Kroger. Check out Bard's or RedBridge.

6. In general, I think the distilled rule applies, and since Coke and Pepsi products and most juices are gluten-free, most mixed drinks are good to go.

Here's a drink recipe I may mix up on the big night, derived from a recipe I found at the Grey Goose site:

Cranberry Sparkler
1 part vodka
1 part club soda
splash of cranberry juice
cranberries or lime wedge for garnish

Mix vodka and soda over ice and pour into glass. Add a spash of cranberry juice and garnish with cranberries.

So, adults: Be responsible, be safe and cheers to the last 10 years. Let's hope the next 10 are even better.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Maureen said...

Thank goodness Maker's Mark and Coke are gluten-free. I don't know what I'd do!

December 28, 2009 at 6:40 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home