Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Friday, August 29, 2008

Slow cooking for fast living

As the holiday weekend gets rolling, I often feel lost in the shuffle as I keep busy planning not only gf meals, but everything else! In times such as these, I like to plan ahead for dinnertime, when I know the kids will be overwhelmed and tired. And, quite frankly, so will I.

I adapted this from a Weight Watchers recipe, which asks for more cabbage. My kids prefer more rice and I prefer sneaking in some carrots. I find on the most hectic of days, filling up the slow cooker is the fastest way to get things going. And at the end of the day, you will have a healthy, gluten-free meal warm and ready.

Stuffed Cabbage Casserole
2 pounds ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (20 ounces) tomato sauce
2 large bags cabbage and carrots (slaw mix)
1 cup uncooked rice
2 teaspoons salt
2 cans (14 ounces) gf beef broth (Kitchen Basics, Pacific Natural)

Brown beef. Drain. In slow cooker, combine onion, sauce, cabbage mix, rice and salt. Add cooked beef. Pour broth over top, cover and cook up to 5 hours on low. Stir after one hour.

Tip: If you would like a more soupy casserole, add another can of tomato sauce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home