Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

GF treats that say 'I love you'

Well, we made it six years and the inevitable has happened. My son has become attached to the computer.

His favorite site? Pbskids.org. There, he clicks through word games, learns about numbers, enjoys some imaginative play and sets up train tracks. It was here he first was introduced to Mr. Rogers, and our lives have not been the same since. When I began watching his videos and show with my son, I have to admit, I thought he was a little strange. He talks slow, stares into the camera a lot and follows the same routines over and over. But herein lies his genius.

He is speaking the language of a small child. And, providing a safe environment for preschoolers and kids with autism who are creatures of repetitive routines. His mannerisms, body language and simple breakdowns of everyday social situations have been a remarkable tool in teaching my son to express his feelings. Most notably, he has began expressing love. Mr. Rogers tells us that there are "so many ways to say I love you." There's the singing way, the sign language way and --- my favorite --- the cooking way.

Holding up his hand and signing "I love you" is now my son's favorite way to thank me for a good meal. It's been a long time coming, but he's able to express himself in "so many ways" and I'm happy to provide him with yummy incentives.

For Valentine's Day, I plan to use the cooking way to say I love you. I already have made a Betty Crocker GF cake with chocolate frosting (terrible photo above). I made the recipe from the back of the Hershey's Cocoa container, which is simply cocoa, powdered sugar, butter (or Vegan Smart Balance), vanilla and milk (rice, soy or cow). It is a wonderful frosting to top vanilla cake. The kids helped me make a heart out of mini Kraft marshmallows.

Another recipe I may whip up for the big day is this one. It is derived from this recipe. A change I probably will make is using coconut milk instead of regular or hemp milk and I also took out the nuts so those with nut allergies can enjoy it.

GFCF Fudge
3/4 cups butter or margarine (Earth Balance, Smart Balance)
3 cups sugar

2/3 cup milk (hemp, coconut or your choice)
2 cups chocolate chips (such as Enjoy Life)

1 jar marshmallow creme

1 teaspoon vanilla

Bring margarine, sugar and milk to a full boil in heavy 3 quart saucepan, stirring constantly. Boil 5 minutes over medium heat or until candy thermometer reaches 220 degrees, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate until melted. Add marshmallow crème and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into greased 9-by-13 pan. Cool at room temperature; cut into squares. Makes about 3 pounds.

For the candy way to say I love you...
Check out Necco Conversation hearts or this list. Also, the Chocolate Emporium has a ton of candy and even GFCF chocolate candy boxes! I also like to make chocolate hearts by melting gfcf chocolate in a double boiler and pouring into a mold (JoAnne Fabrics has lots to choose from.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home