Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Saturday, September 6, 2008

A scramble for dinner


I try to stay on top our meal plan, but sometimes I can fall behind. The other day, I was amazed at how easy it was to get breakfast, lunch and a few snacks into my picky eaters when I looked up at the clock and realized it was 5 p.m. and I had not even thought about what to prepare for dinner. I didn't pull any meat out of the freezer, my fridge was looking pretty bare and my little guys were getting hungry. I could tell because they were asking for candy, chips and other junk foods I knew would spoil their dinner --- whatever that would be.

That's when I spied the carton of eggs and hatched a plan for a quick and easy dinner. I did a quick scramble around the kitchen and came up with a can of mushrooms, half an onion, a few strips of bacon and a few crowns of broccoli. Within a half hour (and one episode of "Dora the Explorer"), I had a frittata, steamed broccoli and a salad on the table. A frittata is like an omelette, but instead of cooked on the stovetop and folded in half, it is first partially cooked on a stovetop but then finished in the oven and served open-faced like a quiche.

The kids loved it. The husband loved it. I loved it. I was pretty proud of myself. Now, what will I cook tomorrow night?

Empty the Fridge Frittata
A dozen eggs
1/2 chopped onion
4-5 strips bacon (Kraft and Applegate Farms are gluten free)
1 can mushrooms diced or at least one cup diced veggies of choice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Penzy's Mural of Flavor (shallots, onion, garlic, lemon peel, chives, orange peel) or generous amount of your favorite dried seasoning
2 teaspoons ground pepper

Cut bacon strips with scissors into confetti-sized pieces. Heat oil in oven-safe frying pan and saute bacon until cooked. Add onion, mushrooms (or veggies of choice) and spices. Saute for 3-5 minutes. While that is cooking, crack and whisk eggs. Preheat oven to 375 F. Add eggs to pan and cook at medium heat for 5-7 minutes, or until it looks about halfway cooked. Place pan in oven and cook for 10-15 minutes, or until it's fully cooked and the top looks cakey. If you wish, add a handfull of cheese. Slice like a pie and serve with fresh veggies and salad --- or whatever is in your fridge!

Tip: You can use turkey bacon or cubed lean meat for a lighter frittata, just add a little more olive oil so the eggs don't stick to the bottom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home