Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Say cheese

Some kids' standards I can duplicate pretty easily.

Spaghetti? Done.

Chicken nuggets? done.

French fries? It's in the bag.

Others are a little more tricky. The top three foods I find the most difficult, especially since my son stopped eating casein (dairy), are macaroni and cheese, cheeseburgers and pizza. Cheeseburgers and pizza are difficult because the cheese alternatives are not always so melty.

I looked into the Tofutti brand, but on its Web site, the company will not guarantee that it is gluten free. Then, I discovered Galaxy brand rice cheese and cheese squares at Good Food Co. They are gluten-free, casein-free and delicious. Yay! Success! I have not tried to make mac and cheese with them yet, but these brands work well on a gluten-free pizza crust or on a hamburger patty. I made the pizza crust from scratch, but if dairy is not a no-no, there are plenty of frozen options, or check out GF Cucina's in Sterling Heights!

But, I might not have to resort to the cheese alternative because my son happens to enjoy this healthy version:

Mac and Squeeze
1/2 baked butternut squash
2 tablespoons butter or buttery spread
3 cups cooked gf macaroni
salt and pepper, to taste

Blend squash in a food processor with butter, salt and pepper until smooth. Mix with noodles and enjoy!

I like this take on Rachael Ray's version. It's what I made before my son nixed the dairy:

Mac and Cheese (gluten-free, not dairy-free)
1 package gf elbow noodles
3 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons gf flour blend
salt, pepper to taste
3-4 cups shredded cheese of your choice (Kroger brand is gluten-free: their number is 1-866-221-4141 if you ever want to ask a dietitian!)

Cook noodles and drain. Melt butter in large pot and sprinkle flour overtop. Let cook in butter for a few minutes, then whisk in milk a little at a time. Add cheese and salt/pepper, stir and simmer until thick and bubbly. Mix in pasta. Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home