Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Time to clean house

As the snow piles onto the streets and my windows become sheets of ice, I have no choice but to do some much-needed organizing and cleaning up. First up was the bathroom closet, and I took the opportunity to evaluate all the products and make sure they are all gluten-free.

I had replaced my beloved Aveeno hand lotions (made with oats) and kids soap long ago, but have since de-glutened the adult products, too. After all, when little kids take baths, whether we like it or not, they do ingest water. And although I keep my tub clean (with non-toxic products), I can't help but think some shampoo, soap, etc. stays in the tub. So, better safe than sorry.

Then, I took the plunge and changed out some cosmetics. Our gastrointestinal doctor warned us that a little makeup would inevitably be ingested when the little ones kiss my cheek or get close. And, although the FDA requires allergens to be listed on most food items, it does not require that of cosmetic products.

And then there's toothpaste, medicine and lip ointments, which definitely get ingested. I had already made sure these products were gluten-free, but it's always good to re-read the labels and make sure everything is free of glutens.

So, as cabin fever sets in, I will keep up my quest to defeat gluten in every corner of the house. Today, I can cross "bathroom" off my list.

Here is another list.

What to keep, what to toss

Keep
Johnson and Johnson Head to Toe Baby Wash
Neutrogena haircare and cosmetic products (click here to get list of gluten-free products)
Colgate dental products (click here for list)
Blistex lip ointments (see above list)
Dove bar soap and hair products. Dove will clearly indicate gluten on the label.
SoftSoap (liquid soap)
Purell hand sanitizer
Burt's Bees products (list here)
Tylonol and Advil (see list of medications here)

Toss
Aveno anything - the brand's signature ingredient is oats
Cover Girl face powder
Store brand medications unless otherwise gluten-free (call to make sure)
Bath and Body Works products (many claim to be sickened by products because wheat germ is used in many of them)
Most over-the-counter cosmetics (see list of gluten-containing ingredients here)
Anything outdated

Tip: If you have a new prescription and are wondering if it is gluten-free, follow these handy steps.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not all oats have gluten. I called Aveeno, and they told me that they do not have gluten in their lotion. I have been using the lotion for this winter, and have had no reaction at all. I am fairly careful to not have fresh cream on my hands when eating, if for no other reason than the taste. And I may have the advantage of being an adult, and only having to keep track of my own condition, as I am the only member of the family with the problem.

January 26, 2009 at 8:11 PM 
Blogger Alissa Malerman said...

Ah, a controversial issue. I will address this in my next entry. Thanks for your comment!

February 1, 2009 at 7:08 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home