Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Another birthday success

Another birthday has come and went, and I am happy to report that a family gathering for my deserving 3-year-old was a sweet successs. I'm still getting comments on the food, and I'm being truthful when I say it really was a piece of cake.

At first, I was a little worried about what I would serve. Not only is my older and pickier eater unable to eat gluten or dairy, but my niece has a peanut allergy. Many of the cake mixes for the gluten-free variety either contain nuts or were "made in a facility that also produces food that may contain nuts."

As a yearlong gluten-free baker, I wanted to cater to my other guests with food allergies. Cherrybrook Kitchen cake mix is yummy and free of all allergens, but I didn't really have the budget to make that brand for all of my guests (not to mention for No. 2's preschool class). So, I scoured the grocery store shelves and came up with a sweet alternative: cupcakes. I looked online and read that a lot of cheaper cake brands are peanut-free, so I read the labels two or three times and double checked with my wise and cautious siblings-in-law and decided on a Pillsbury cake mix and frosting (many Pillsbury frostings are also gluten free). Click here for a handy list of "peanut safe" treats.

And I happened to have a box of gluten-free ice cream cones I bought on sale months ago from Kroger, so I simply picked up a really cheap box that contained gluten (after checking the label for nuts) and made two varieties: A small batch for picky eater No. 1 and a large "peanut-free" batch for the rest of the crew, making sure to label, wash and separate everything.

Next up, the main course. I finally decided on taco salad. It has wide appeal and can easily be made allergy-friendly, diet-friendly and in large doses. So, I cooked up the meat in advance, threw it in the slow cooker and simply plugged it in the morning of the party. I made the cupcake cones a few days in advance, as well. I chopped up everything the night before.

The day of, a few thoughtful guests brought a veggie tray for snacking, a bottle of wine and some gluten-free corn bread. Besides wrapping presents and cleaning the house before the guests arrived, I was a good to go. Time to celebrate!

Taco Salad for Everyone
Meat
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
Ground beef or turkey (about 1 pound per 4 people)
3 tablespoons taco seasoning (recipe follows) for each pound of beef
3/4 cup of water per pound of meat

Heat oil and cook onion for about 5 minutes. Add beef and fully cook. Drain fat. Add seasoning, water and mix. Either simmer in skillet for 20-30 minutes or put in slow cooker. Turn cooker on low about 4 hours before serving.

Taco seasoning (makes enough for about 3 pounds meat)
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons cornstarch

*Penzy's makes a few yummy gluten-free taco seasoning mixes, but they contain dairy.

Topping suggestions:
2 bags of your favorite gluten-free tortilla chips (ours is Garden Fresh)
4 tomatoes, diced
hot peppers, sliced
Sour cream (Organic Valley is gluten-free)
3-4 romaine hearts washed and chopped into small bite-sized pieces
2-3 bags Kraft shredded cheese of your choice (read the label - Kraft doesn't hide gluten or other allergens in the ingredients)
Your favorite soy cheese if dairy-free (we like Vegan Gourmet)
5 ripe avocados, diced
1 bunch green onions, chopped
A few varieties of your favorite salsa (again, read the labels)

Set out toppings in bowls. If all your food is allergen-free, you don't have to worry about contamination. But to be safe, put a different serving spoon in each dish. Invite guests to dig in and create their own "salad."

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes
1 box of your favorite gluten-free cake mix
2 boxes (12 in each -- cake mix will make 24) Let's Do Gluten-free Ice Cream Cones (contains nuts!)

Prepare cake mix. Fill cupcakes 3/4 full and place inside cupcake pan. Bake 25 minutes at 350 F or per baking instructions. Cool and frost. Package and label: "Gluten-free, contains nuts."

Frosting: You can use whatever gluten-free frosting you are comfortable with. I like to use the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa, which can easily be made casein-free.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home