Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Sign of the times












I would like to say I was surprised when I pulled up to my favorite health food store and saw this sign.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time I have seen a small business such as the Good Food Co. in Troy become the victim of an unforgiving economic climate.

Last month, I got an email from the former Celiac Products in Southgate. In it, I was thanked for my patronage, but was told that the shop could no longer compete with grocery stores, which are now carrying more gluten-free items. And today, the clerk at Good Food reiterated that claim.

"We just can't compete with their prices," she said.

It's too bad. I was willing to shell out a few extra dollars for the convenience of a one-stop shop. I often could find things, such as gluten- and dairy-free cheeses and a slew of gluten-free breads, at Good Food Co. that are never at grocery stores, and I appreciated a store that would supply all of my son's favorites. It is a big loss for us. And for all celiacs in the area.

But times are tight for everyone, and it's understandable that people have to cut costs. The smaller shops have to charge more, so people with celiac must find a way to cope.

Here is my plan:

1. Order foods I can't get at the grocery store online.
Celiac Specialties offers free shipping to members for purchases over $50. The Gluten-free Mall offers specials and will email coupons and special offers.

2. Take advantage of gluten-free fairs.
Hiller's recently had a fair at its Plymouth store. As I have mentioned before, Hiller's keeps all its shelves stocked with gluten-free food items, so it is a good store to visit (it's a hike for me) from time to time. But gluten-free fairs can be found nearby.

The Tri-County Celiac Gluten Free Food Fair is slated for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, April 25 at First Presbyterian Church, 26165 Farmington Road, Farmington. For more information, contact Mary at mcguerr@hotmail.com.

3. Support the small businesses that offer gluten-free food.
Pick up a pizza from GF Cucina's, get a sandwich at Saint George's Cafe and support Sugar Kisses Bakery, which claims it is making a move from Royal Oak to Berkley on its Web site.

4. Keep on cooking!
I'm sticking to basic meals that have always been gluten-free, and am going to try harder to bake from scratch. It will be easier on my wallet and easier to track down supplies.

My heart is heavy as I see the "everything must go" signs posted. Stores that opened their doors to gluten-free diners first have fallen to the rising demand of cheap food, and it's a shame because the need for these items is vast.

I hope things will be better one day soon, and more specialty shops will find their way back into our communities.

1 Comments:

Blogger Larc said...

Sugar Kisses Bakery has their sign up at their new location. They are an awesome bakery for GF!!

April 12, 2009 at 1:46 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home