Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

What's new

It's time to talk resources again. Everyone cooking and/or eating gluten-free needs them, and I'm happy to share and receive any new information about restaurants, products or events that could make being gf just a little bit easier.

  • I recently discovered Dr. Rana Awdish of Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit has written a cookbook on allergy-free cooking. Many of the recipes are gluten-free. Check out her story, blog and cookbook information here.
  • As the writer of this blog, I get a myriad of notifications, both from readers and establishments, when a gluten-free product is offered. Recently, I was notified that Corn Chex now have a gluten-free label, Starbucks has added a gluten-free Orange Valencia Cake to its menu and I will continue to make sure to slip in the newest products when they come across my desk.
  • On a rare break from the gluten-free kitchen, my husband and I enjoyed a night out with my parents. We saw a play in Chelsea and stopped at Paesano in Ann Arbor on the way home. I opened the menu and was delighted to find the restaurant offers gluten-free pasta and a variety of offerings, including dessert. I asked the server if the pasta was prepared and strained separate from the rest of the pasta and she confirmed that the restaurant takes extra precautions to prevent cross-contamination. Another coup for gluten-free eaters!
  • I recently discovered Bell and Evans chicken strips at Westborn Market (which had them on sale). They are worth the price. I pack them in my son's lunchbox when chicken nuggets are on the hot lunch menu.
Finally, I rediscovered a recipe worth sharing. It's a standard that I find simple, economical and easy to sneak extra veggies into. Whether you are cooking for picky eaters or simply enjoy using up your market produce, this one is a keeper.

Stuffed Peppers
1 tablespoon e.v. olive oil
1 pound ground sirloin
1/2 an onion, chopped
2 cups rice, cooked
1/2 cup quinoa
1 large can tomato sauce
1 cup chopped veggies of choice (I used yellow squash and carrots, diced)
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
salt to taste
4-5 bell peppers, cut in half lengthwise

Prepare rice. Drizzle oil in large saute pan and brown sirloin. Season and add onion and veggies. Saute for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 425 F. Add tomato sauce and quinoa to sirloin mixture and simmer 10 more minutes. While that is simmering, cut peppers and strip seeds and membranes. Place peppers on cookie sheet and roast in oven for 10 minutes. Turn off heat under filling mixture and add rice. When peppers are cooked to your liking, spoon filling into peppers. Melt cheese on top if desired.

Tip: My kids like to eat just the filling. I also like to slice squash or zucchini lengthwise, spoon out the seeds and fill those.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home