Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Leaving the kitchen


When it's time to meet up with friends or family, or we're out during mealtime and need a bite to eat, I am always reluctant to go out. Who will be able to serve us with all our dietary needs?

When my son first was diagnosed with celiac, most restaurants looked at me like I was from a different planet when I asked if they had anything that was gluten-free. In fact, it has been years since I was comfortable enough to go out with my picky eater. But, when family called on us to head out to a local restaurant recently, I hit the Internet and was pleasantly surprised.

A week later, we were out on the town and I called ahead to ask if another restaurant had gluten-free offerings. They did!

I have learned to ask a series of questions. I like to phone first and if the hostess seems unsure, I ask to talk to a manager. Here is what I ask:
Do you have a gluten-free menu or list of gluten-free foods?
Is the food prepared on its own equipment or can tin foil be used?
Can I be sure that there will be no cross contamination?

I find myself even skipping the last few questions lately, because wait staff and/or management already are putting me at ease and assuring me that our food will be safe to eat. Could it be that in a few short years, establishments are learning to prepare food for every diet, or am I just more aware? Whatever the reason, we are happy to enjoy a good meal outside of our kitchen for a change.

Here are some restaurants we have had good experiences with:

1. P.F. Chang's
We met up with family at the restaurant inside Somerset. There are also Northville, Clinton Township and Dearborn locations. Check out the FULL gluten-free menu here. My picky eater had the fried rice, and I ordered the Buddha's Feast and Chicken Lettuce Wraps. It is regular food off the regular menu. The restaurant even offers desserts and soup.

2. Paesano
One of the best Italian restaurants I have ever eaten at, Paesano in Ann Arbor doesn't have an actual GF menu, but they will make just about anything gluten free. My picky eater had a big bowl of spaghetti with meatballs. Our server told me they could make any pasta dish gluten-free and offer a GF appetizer and dessert daily. It is worth the trip for a special event or date. Make reservations, though. It gets pretty busy even on a week night.

3. McCormick & Schmick's
Another restaurant near the Somerset Collection, McCormick & Schmick's doesn't have a gluten-free menu, but they were very knowledgeable and offered a gluten-free meal to us without a bat of an eye. The server even told us they had a gluten-free dessert if we were interested. Again, this would be a nice place to go on a date or special occasion. The restaurant offers a variety of fresh seafood and food produced locally and in season. It is also a nice place to meet for lunch.

4. G.F. Cucina's
Need a quick bite or dinner in a hurry? G.F. Cucina's is 100 percent gluten-free. Located on Mound Road in Sterling Heights, the restaurant offers pizza, meatball subs, stuffed peppers and much more. It even has a bakery case and fryer. It is the best bet for pizza in my opinion because the entire restaurant is gluten-free. I am skeptical of other pizza shops who offer GF pizza. I used to work at a pizza shop as a teenager, and would come home with a flour layer on me from head to toe.

5. Ramano's Macaroni Grill
We visited a restaurant in Livonia, but there's also an Auburn Hills and Ann Arbor location. This is the place I called ahead and the hostess told me that they offered gluten-free and other allergen-free friendly options. The options were limited, but on short notice and desperate to feed my family, I was happy I could get a meal for my picky eater and other members in our party hungry for a good meal. My son got a plate of grilled chicken with steamed broccoli. And he gobbled it up.

6. Sugar Kisses Bakery
Sometimes, I take my boys to the Berkley bakery for a special treat. They usually have cupcakes and brownies that are both gluten- and casein-free and have vegan, GF and CF offerings. Coffee for me, treats for the kids and a special day for all.

I'm thrilled at all the food service industry has to offer us these days. I will keep an open mind and my open ears for more restaurants in the future. Here are some other restaurants I have heard good things about:
1. Mind, Body & Spirits in Rochester
2. Buddy's Pizzeria
3. Sweet Lorraine's in Southfield

Eat well. Enjoy the company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home