Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Cheers to a gluten-free May


Here I am. Newly gluten-free. It's May and I'm all geared up to experience what so many readers have been living with as far as food choices, meal planning and a whole new way of cooking are concerned.

Of course, I have had a few years under my belt cooking mostly gluten-free for my family so as not to isolate my son. I'm used to looking for chicken nuggets, pizzas and lunch meats for school lunches. I am also used to planning dinners that will suit everyone's needs and have posted many recipes I have discovered in the process. But what about breakfast for me? Lunches? Snacks? In this area, I feel I will have most of my work cut out for me.

I have cleaned out my cupboards and stocked my shelves, fridge and freezer with gluten-free versions of the food that hopefully can get me from dinner to dinner. Aunt Mid's salad dressings will help, and I love a good salad for lunch. Eggs and some toasted Kinnikinnick bread will do the trick for breakfast, and I'm sure I will be eating lots of yogurt, veggies, peanut butter and fresh fruit until I get more comfortable finding snack recipes.

I found bags of pasta, bread mixes and a variety of "regular" brands that were labeled gluten-free at the Commerce Township Hiller's -- a big plus when planning snacks and quick lunches. One meal I tried out and froze for the coming month was pulled chicken sandwiches (recipe below). I simply cut up some chicken, cooked in a skillet with olive oil, and simmered in Hot Rod Bob's barbecue sauce in a slow cooker. When it was all done, I rolled a small pile of the chicken into a Food for Life Brown Rice Tortilla (found at Hiller's). It was healthful and tangy and delicious. Click here for an exclusive coupon to Hiller's during the first week of May.

So, here's to trying new things, reading more labels and becoming more aware of the variety of foods available to those with special diets. This is probably a good time to raise a glass and toast the upcoming month. And what better way to do that than with a cold, frosty beer, the thing people lament giving up most when going gluten-free. I have received request after request to sample and write about gluten-free beer.
So, first thing's first. Let's talk beer.

It should be made known that my husband and I enjoy a good beer. Some of my favorites are Blue Moon, Samuel Adam's Cherry Wheat and Bell's Oberon. These are "sweet wheat" varieties and definitely LOADED with gluten. My husband likes a deep amber brew or stout. Some of his favorites are Bell's Porter and Edmund Fitzgerald Porter (Great Lakes Brewing Co.) We like our beer. Beer with gluten. I felt we would be good judges of the gluten-free varieties. And as May brings backyard picnics and barbecues, boy was I hoping we wouldn't be disappointed.

Surprisingly, we weren't. We found three varieties, one at a corner store and two at Hiller's, so they were readily available. Here is what we thought of each:

1. Bard's/found at Mug and Jug at 12 Mile and Greenfield, Berkley/Also can be found at Beverage Warehouse in Beverly Hills, Sylvan Quality Market in Sylvan Lake, Snooker's Pub in Royal Oak or type in your zip code at link for nearest store/caramel color with little foam.

What we thought: I was more of a fan of this beer than my husband was. It was sweet, smooth and had a hint of cherry, similar to my beloved Cherry Wheat but without the heaviness. It was almost a little too light for my taste, but a nutty smell and complex flavors gave it a little more fullness. It was too light for my husband's taste, but he drank a good ice cold gulp or two from a frosted mug with no complaints. For someone who likes stouts, I think this was a plus. There was absolutely no bitterness.

2. New Grist/Found at all Hiller's stores except Berkley store/Golden color with lots of foam.


What we thought: We were not fond of this one. The lemony undertones were not complex enough to mask the heavy rice taste. It was extremely light and golden, much like a very sweet pilsner. It would be good for a lover of this kind of beer, but we could really taste the rice. It had a good foam on it when we poured it, however, and there was absolutely no aftertaste or bitterness.

3. Red Bridge/Found at all Hiller's stores except Berkley store/Check out other locations on link/Light amber color/Medium foam.

What we thought: This was my husband's favorite. His exact reac
tion to it was: "that tastes like an actual beer." It was definitely the fullest of the three beers, with a rich nutty flavor and smooth, carmel finish. As with all the beers we tried, there was no bitterness. But this one stood out as being both a little sweet and more full than the other two. It fit the bill for both of us and we gave it two adamant thumbs up.

The good news for those who must live gluten-free is there are good, readily available options out there. I bet no one would suspect either Bard's or Red Bridge were gluten-free at a barbecue. A real coup for those who love their
beer and want to drink it, too.

Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
2-3 whole chicken breasts, cut into large chunks

1 jar Hot Rod Bob's barbecue sauce (original or thick a
nd spicy)
1/2 onion, cut into thin strips
2 teaspoons olive oil

Drizzle olive oil in large skillet. Cook chicken in oil, then transfer to large slow cooker. Coat with jar of sauce, adding water if necessary so chicken is all exposed to sauce (I put a little in the jar and shook it up, then poured into cooker). Add onions, cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours. About 30 minutes before finished, take chicken out of sauce and pull apart with two forks. Simmer until pulled chicken soaks up more sauce. Let cool and spoon onto desired bread or tortillas.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home