Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Gearing up for a gluten-free May


The countdown is on.

May 1 is fast approaching and I am busy preparing things for my gluten-free month. I have meetings planned and people to see so that I can give it my all and get some perspective on what readers -- and my son -- may be going through. I already know I will have much more to offer you. I am finding myself shopping around for new recipes and products every day. Is it strange that I'm starting to think this will be more fun then sacrificial?

As a non-celiac, I have the luxury of just playing the role for a month. But in the end, it may be that this will feel more like a lifestyle switch and give me more skills to fill my family's plates with delicious and healthful meals.

Here is a list of some of my recent findings and plans:

1. I have discovered the best muffins ever. And they were dairy free, full of fresh blueberries and moist (photo above). My son and I both couldn't stop eating them right out of the pan. And this is a kid that has stayed as far away from as many fruits, especially blueberries, as humanly possible. Gluten-Free Pantry's Muffin and Scone Mix took the cake on muffin mixes. I found it at Whole Foods and added 1 cup fresh blueberries and 1/2 cup chopped almonds. The dairy-free recipe calls for the use of oil to replace butter and fruit juice to replace milk. I was surprised at how moist and soft the muffins were and without using rice or soy milk. It also calls for 2 eggs and vanilla, and the box says "may contain traces of soy" for those who are intolerant. These will be a definite staple in May.

2. I ordered a big old box of Sandwich Petals a few weeks ago. The sandwich wraps are made of 10 grains: corn, flax, sesame, buckwheat, brown rice, sorghum, millet, quinoa, teff and Amaranth. They can be stored without refrigeration and each wrap contains 3 grams of fiber. The wraps are free of gluten, dairy, egg, peanuts, tree nuts, shellfish and soy. They have arrived and I'm already thinking of the many ways I can utilize this convenient finding. The box I bought came with three dozen wraps in three flavors: Spinach and Garlic Pesto, Red Chile and Agave Grain. Check out this recipe for Enchiladas. Yum.

3. I was shopping for spices at Penzey's today and noticed a new pie store that just opened across the street. Achatz Pie Co. might not be a place someone with celiac would venture into, but I was happy to find a few rows of frozen homemade soup both gluten and dairy free! I picked up a container of Chicken Chili and put it in my freezer for a later meal. It had simple, fresh ingredients and I was surprised to find gluten-free offerings at a pie place! The store just opened in Beverly Hills (13 Mile and Southfield), but stores can also be found in Troy, Oxford, Shelby and Sterling Heights. The Beverly Hills store will have a grand opening event May 2 and the first 50 customers will receive a free slice of pie a week for the entire year (for those who don't have celiac, I guess.) But there also will be raffles, samples and merchandise. If you shop at Penzey's at all , and I recommend it, it may be worth a visit to try the gf soup and support a company that includes these products.

4. I am meeting with the very supportive staff at Hiller's this week for a full tour of the Commerce Township store, which I am told has the biggest gluten-free selection of all the metro Detroit stores. I have been there before to buy food for my son and am excited to see what they have for me, too. I can't wait to report back and let you know what they have to say!

5. I'm planning a gluten-free beer tasting. I have heard from a variety of readers that are interested in this topic and I am fully prepared to take on the challenge. It's a tough job sometimes... I have to admit, I really like beer, so I can only imagine the anxiety people who are actually diagnosed with celiac must feel at the thought of giving up their gluten-laden frosty mug of beer. I am brewing up a taste test and plan to be brutally honest about the taste.

Just a few weeks left, and I'm all geared up. I'm not at all afraid of the things I won't be able to eat. I'm more excited about the new things I will experience and taste. And share with others.

5 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

I went GFCF for four months when we first put our daughter on the diet nine years ago. I never felt *better*. I missed pizza and cheeseburgers on a bun, though.

Alissa, you have inspired me - I'm considering the month long experiment, too. Just GF this time. Our family doc (who has a child on the autism spectrum) has gone GFCF and told me last week he thinks most of us would benefit in a big way from a GF diet.

PS: I found Daiya brand dairy free, soy free, nut free cheese substitute at WF in WB yesterday.

Penny
www.notnewtoautism.blogspot.com

April 19, 2010 at 4:28 AM 
Anonymous Fallon said...

Gluten free pantry is wonderful! their brownies taste amazing, the bread mix is really tasty, and I used the French bread mix as pizza crust the other night and it was REALLY good! Good luck to you and your son. May will be marking our first month of gluten free living as well

April 20, 2010 at 7:52 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

April 20, 2010 at 11:36 AM 
Blogger Beth L. said...

Hi Alissa,
I love the gluten free weekend idea. I also love reading ypour blog. You're the best! Hey I keep getting a delivery failure notice when I've tried to send you e-mails these last couple of weeks. Can you get ahold of me? I have some info about our April 30th meeting. Thanks!
Beth (Dinner Diva)

April 23, 2010 at 5:57 AM 
Blogger Cheryl Heppard said...

Kudo's to you for bringing attention to gluten free living! I'm looking forward to reading about your experiences in May. Be sure to visit Celiac Specialties store.

April 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home