Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Friday, May 7, 2010

A mother of a deal


Oh, the comforts of home.

When I was growing up, my mom would simmer spaghetti sauce all day and we would all take turns walking up to the big pot and giving it a stir, and perhaps a quick sample. The smells of basil and garlic filled the air with a familiar aroma that made us all feel cozy and loved.

This Mother's Day, I cooked up a comforting bowl of pasta sans the gluten. Although I often cook up a similar big batch of traditional red pasta sauce, I decided to rip another page out of my mom's handy cookbook of tricks. At a recent trip to the home I grew up in, I watched as she sliced large chunks of carrots, zucchini, red peppers, squash and eggplant. She brushed them with olive oil and roasted them in the hot oven. After that, it was just a quick toss in some light tomato sauce and she had whipped up yet another filling, wholesome meal.

I thought of roasting big chunks of veggies for this dish on the grill, as my mother-in-law likes to do. She likes to marinate the veggies in light Italian dressing. My husband loves to do this, too, and I think we are all influenced by the food our mothers cook for us. It's what keeps me going on the days that meal planning is the most daunting.

However, the day was cold and rainy, so I cranked up the oven instead.

As a mom, I want my kids to feel what I felt growing up. Not only do I want to supply a their bellies with wholesome food, I want to fill their home with love and comfort.

And here's the "mother of a deal" I mentioned in the title! Hiller's is offering the very comforting GF Cucina frozen 12-inch pizza for 99 cents! Click here for a printable coupon*

Veggie Pasta from My Mama
1. Cut up large chunks of veggies of your choice: I used 2 medium zucchini, 2 small summer (yellow) squash, 1 small sweet onion, 2 cloves of garlic cut in large discs, 5 carrots cut at an angle and two small eggplant sliced horizontally. I thought afterward that mushrooms also would be a great addition.
2. Brush veggies with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt.
3. Roast on baking sheet at 425 F for 10-15 minutes on each side.
4. While veggies are roasting, boil about an 8 ounce package of pasta of your choosing to package directions. I made Quinoa pasta shells. Drain and place into a large pot.
5. When veggies are finished, simply throw them in the pot with the pasta, drizzle with about 1 teaspoon of olive oil and season with basil. I tossed in two large tomatoes, cut into wedges. The heat of the pasta and veggies softened them.
6. Add about 1 cup of your favorite jar of gluten-free pasta sauce or tomato soup (I used 1/2 a box of Dr. McDougall's Chunky Tomato Soup).
7. Toss, heat to warm it up and enjoy. It's even good the next day.

*Coupon will be available starting the morning of Saturday, May 8.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy recipe!
Thanks for sharing. Great for Weight Watchers too.

May 10, 2010 at 7:16 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home