Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ready for fall

So, the school bells are ringing, cool breezes are wafting through the windows and orchards are beginning to beckon fall-lovers such as myself. And with the opening of the autumn season, my favorite food in the world begins to pile into markets: Squash.

In season from September to November in Michigan, this is the time to pick up some winter squash at the farmers market or anywhere that sells it. Acorn, butternut, Hubbard and spaghetti are the most common varieties. Easily baked in the oven (poke them with a fork and microwave for five minutes for easy cutting/de-seeding), it is a versatile veggie that packs more calories than the summer variety, but also a lot more vitamins. They contain 170 percent of the daily allowance of vitamin A, 40 percent of vitamin C. For more on squash, see this link.

Here is a quick recipe that warms my soul:

Butternut Squash Soup
2 butternut squash, cut from shell and cubed
1 box chicken or vegetable stock (Kitchen Basics is gluten-free)
2 bunches fresh sage
Salt, pepper to taste

Put squash pieces into soup pot. As mentioned above, a quick 5-10 minutes in the microwave makes for easy cutting. Simply slice lengh-wise, spoon out seeds and slice into strips. Cut off outer shell and chop into cubes. Cover with broth and add spices and sage leaves. Bring to boil and simmer about 20 minutes or until squash is soft and mushy. Add one ladle at time into food processor or blender and puree in batches, transferring to another pot or large glass bowl. Serve with sour cream if desired.

Another sign of the times? Birthday invitations. It seems when school begins, so do the parties. And I want to be ready. So I baked up some festive cupcakes and frosting. I added sprinkles and colorful touches. Here is a fun site with lots of choices.

My son's teacher asked if I wanted to freeze some cupcakes for the year and I was more than happy to comply. I picked up some cupcake holders at a cake supply store (but I have also seen them at JoAnne's and Target) and filled them with my creations. I made sure there was one for Halloween and a variety of colors. I used King Arthur brand cake mix this time and was very happy with the result. The cake was moist and delicious and the box made 24 cupcakes (two layers of cake). Warning, though: The mix calls for four eggs.

I made my grandmother's famous 20 Minute Frosting with some dairy free milk and buttery spread and omitted the egg white. I'm being safe on behalf of my son, and it worked well without it, but my grandmother has been making this frosting with the egg white for years. Eating raw eggs increases the risk for food-born illness. For more on egg safety, click here.

Anyway, the cupcakes are made, the soup is on the stove and the football game is on. Before we know it, the leaves will burst into the masterpiece that is autumn. Then I will have to start thinking about other holidays...

20 Minute Frosting Redux
1 egg white (optional)
1/2 cup buttery spread (such as Earth Balance)
1/2 cup shortening (Crisco is gluten-free)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup Vanilla Rice Dream (or milk)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla

If using egg white, beat until foamy. Add remaining ingredients into standup mixer and mix on medium speed for 20 minutes, scraping down sides a few times. Frosting will be creamy white. Add coloring if desired.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home