Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Getting fresh


I have just come off a month of eating gluten free and feel great. I have re-introduced a small amount of the wheat protein into my diet and am committed to eating a healthy, well-balanced assortment of fruits, veggies and protein.

Fresh food, real food, is what makes me feel best. And I'm striving to bring that feeling to my family's plates at each passing meal.

Nothing makes me more proud than when I see the kids eat handfuls of fresh strawberries or when I observe watermelon juice dripping from their little chins. I sit content watching them eat crisp green beans and the tops of dark green broccoli florets. Gluten-free or not, fresh food that is not processed and grown in the Earth is best. And summer allows us to dig up the best food for ourselves and our families.

On Mother's Day, my husband picked up on my new found quest to get my hands dirty and sow some seeds of my own. I woke that Sunday morning to the sound of a hammer and nails, drills and saws. The kids were on hand with their tape measures. They had built me a garden box so I could start to really dig into a healthier lifestyle. And it was tall enough to keep our plant-loving Labrador away from the sprouting feast.

A few weeks later, the box was able to be filled with compost, peat moss and Happy Frog Soil Conditioner. And a few short days ago (we were advised to let the soil "digest" for about a week), the kids and I planted tomatoes, bell peppers, green beans, lettuce, cucumber, zucchini, carrots and herbs (photo above is my little ones dropping some zucchini seeds). I am calling this my "starter" garden to see how well I can do, and hope to add on next year. I know friends who are picking berries already and enjoying some of their bounties. I will keep you posted on the fruits of my own labors.

For now, farmers market fare will have to do. Here is a list of regional markets. I love to visit the Royal Oak Farmers Market and Eastern Market.

Here is a small list of what you can expect to find at the market in early June: Strawberries, aparagus, greens, farm-fresh eggs, potted plants, fresh herbs, lettuce and greens. Nothing beats food fresh from the farmers, and it's always worth the trip when I come home with a tote bag or two filled with fresh market fare.

Don't want to lug all that home from the market every week? Door to Door Organics now offers food from a local Community Supported Agriculture group (CSA). In a CSA, each person is a 'member' who purchases a share of the seasons produce. It's a way to support a local farm, and get to eat all the benefits. Check out Door to Door Organics for more information on its regular delivery service or CSA option.

By mid-summer I will only need to travel to my own backyard if I find myself lucky enough to produce a bountiful garden.

In the meantime, I ran across this recipe the other day. It ran in the OP years ago, and makes use of tomatoes, fresh cilantro and cucumber.

Chickpea Salad
2 cups coarsely chopped tomatoes (about 3 medium)
15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 large cucumber, peeled, quartered and sliced
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup fresh cilantro
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 teaspoon sugar

In a very large bowl, combine tomatoes, chickpeas, cucumber, bell pepper, cilantro and onion. Set aside.

To make dressing, combine oil, vinegar, salt, garlic and sugar in a bottle or jar. Cap and shake. Pour dressing onto salad and toss to coat. Cover and chill for 4 to 24 hours. Serve salad alone or over greens. (recipe from Better Homes and Garden via The Associated Press)

Tip: I also love this recipe with double the chickpeas and red onion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home