Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Saturday, May 29, 2010

It's a wrap and the winning recipe


I am back on track, eating healthy and in charge of what goes into my body.

Thanks in large part to finding some delectable snack and lunch options, I am feeling great and enjoying being gluten-free. Now at the end of the road, I can't say I'm going to continue my journey being entirely gluten-free. I feel I need a little whole wheat and gluten-containing grains to be healthy. However, I do want to continue to stay away from fast food, convenience foods and as many processed foods as possible. I also will continue to eat gluten-free at dinnertime and mostly at lunch time. I may have a whole wheat piece of toast in the morning to feel my cravings and keep me on track ... we'll see.

I feel great eating a boatload of fruits and veggies every day and plan to continue to do so. It's perfect timing to head to the farmers market and try out yet some more things.
I have had a blast and enjoyed learning how to go about daily life living gluten-free. It took a little more planning, and bringing food along on a few occasions, but I enjoyed seeing what I could "get away with" gluten-free. Revamping recipes and cooking with coconut milk were two of my favorite endeavors. Driving my kids to school/playdates/appointments without being able to quickly pick up a snack was my least favorite part. But, in the end, it was better for me to grab an apple and string cheese for the road.

Eating all the sweets was fun, too. But as my pants began to feel tighter, I started to work on some new tactics. For example, this recipe for chocolate banana shakes (photo of my little one drinking most of my calories at right) from Gluten Freeville was a healthy way to satisfy my sweet tooth. I made it with Very Vanilla Silk and coconut milk. Both tasted sinfully bad, but with a frozen banana and just a pinch of cocoa powder, you really just have to worry about the milk calories. It was a dream come true, really.

Then, I discovered some new snack options. Carrot sticks and hummus have always been one of my favorite snacks, but I really was missing some pita or crackers with it. Glutino crackers were a good alternative and the Veggie variety went really well with Laughing Cow Cheese and tomato slices (photo below). A big score in both the low-fat/calories and yummy snacks categories.


So, a few snacks under my belt and it was finally loosening up. Now, what for lunch?

Penny Ray of Commerce Township sent in a recipe for Salmon Patties. She said she doesn't really have a recipe, but "wings it" all the time, cooking the patties for supper and eating them cold for lunch the next day. I went with her directions and whipped up a batch myself for lunchtime. They were a big hit and must-have recipe for those eating gluten-free. Not only were they very healthful (117 calories, 3 grams of fat per huge patty), but affordable and simple. I had mine wrapped in a gluten-free pita with lettuce mix and tomato slices.

So, congrats to Penny! You win a Hiller's gift certificate and a HUGE applause for coming up with such gluten-free goodness.

Penny's Salmon Patties
3 cans (8 ounces each) salmon
1/4 cup mayonnaise (Hellman's or Safflower for dairy-free)
1 cup crushed Rice Chex or gluten-free rice crispy cereal
Generous amount of dried dill
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Gluten free flour for dusting

Preheat oven to 375 F. Drain salmon and place in bowl. Add mayo, cereal and spices and mix with hands. Form six patties and dust with flour. Place on cookie sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes and flip. Cook until both sides are crispy and brown. Enjoy on a salad or rolled in a gluten-free wrap.

And that truly is a wrap!

Special thanks to: Hiller's Markets, the Gluten Intolerance Group, Pamela's products, my friends and family, Aunt Cathy of Oregon (home of Bob's Red Mill), The Oakland Press and Kinnikinnick. Support and contributions were appreciated this month!

2 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

YEAH, ME!

Thanks, Alissa!

May 30, 2010 at 4:17 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! These are great recipes. They are making me hungry. Thanks for doing this Alissa, it is so helpful.
-- Me

August 20, 2010 at 9:50 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home