Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Freeze! Is that gluten-free?



The sun is out and the so are the kids. And just as we're enjoying one of our first summertime evenings running through the sprinkler, I hear a sound that makes me cringe. The ice cream truck.

My son's eyes light up and I try to redirect his attention. But the sound is getting louder, and the other kids in the neighborhood are flagging down the truck. Luckily, I have some of his favorite treats in my freezer and he is content with those -- for now. But I figured it was time to educate myself on ice cream options.

Unfortunately, it appears that malt can hide in many Popsicles and frozen icy treats. A bummer for me, who thought Popsicles were relatively safe. In fact, I always thought the Popsicle brand was safe for my son to eat, but am having trouble backing up that claim now. Nestle brand treats seam to be a safer choice, as are many of the whole fruit varieties found in grocery stores. Our absolute favorite summer pops are PhillySwirl brand varieties. I get the cups and push-ups at Meijer, but have also seen them at Costco.

If you're not dairy-free, the ice cream options are pretty good. You may have to advocate for yourselves, because there may be some cross-contamination, but Dairy Queen says its soft serve is gluten-free, and Wendy's says its Frosties are gluten-free. Ben & Jerry's will label gluten in the ingredients, and some varieties of both Dreyers and Edy's (check labels) are reported to be gluten-free. Here is a good list that includes ice cream treats that are safe. Our favorite gfcf ice cream is So Delicious Neapolitan and other Turtle Mountain varieties.

We have a good time making our own summer goodies, also. Strawberries can be found at farmers markets at this time, and are easily blended and frozen in ice cube trays, Popsicle molds or your own cups with sticks. Blend with yogurt (or soy yogurt) for a creamy and sweet version.

I'm not sure the ice cream truck will deliver any gluten-free treats to us this summer. We'll have to keep our picky eaters occupied, in the meantime, with our own frozen treats and lots of summer fun.

Tip: Check out your local grocery store for the new Betty Crocker gluten-free cake, brownie and cookie mixes!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home