Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Pride and joy


As we celebrate our nation's birthday, I feel a mixture of pride and anxiety. Hopefully, the anxiety can be put to rest with a little thought and good-old American ingeniuty. And as the grand finale bursts in air above us, I hope to see my boys waving the stars and stripes with full, gluten-free bellies.

My pride
My favorite fireworks display is Salute to America at Greenfield Village. I love to hear the DSO play the mantras of all the armed forces, as those who served stand and accept our grateful applause. My eyes are usually full of tears as I think of those veterans who served our country. I feel inspired to do my best as a mom and gluten-free cook when I think of what those who are standing have had to endure so I can sit here and write this blog. Who am I to complain about such hardships as celiac, autism and special diets? Many of my friends have or are currently serving our country. Let's not forget that they deserve applause every day.

My anxiety
And then, there are barbecues. The typical anxiety goes with eating the potluck-type feasts that usually involve hamburger buns, cold pasta salad and a bevy of desserts. How am I to keep little gluten-free fingers out of the firecracker fare? As always, I have to think ahead. I like to bring fruit, veggies or a gluten-free dessert to pass. Cupcakes made with Betty Crocker's gf cake mix might be a nice treat for the little guys, or rice crispies treats made with Kraft marshmallows. Kellogg's Rice Crispies are NOT gluten-free. They contain malt (barley), so make sure to pick up a gluten-free variety, such as EnviroKidz. Don't forget, Ballpark Franks, corn on the cob and watermelon are all gluten-free.

A little planning, and we'll be celebrating our independence from gluten. The food forgotten, we can enjoy our families and watch the sky glow red, white and blue. Happy Fourth of July!

Here's a good dish to pass:

Chick Pea Salad
2 cans (15 ounces) chick peas (garbanzo beans)
3 cups chopped tomatoes
1/2 large cucumber, chopped
1 yellow pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
1 cup fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
salt and sugar to taste

Drain garbanzos and toss with chopped vegetables and cilantro. Whisk together oil, vinegar, lemon, salt and sugar. Pour onto salad and toss. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours or overnight.

Tip: Remember to ask for your food to be cooked on foil to avoid cross-contamination. Bring a square with you to remind yourself.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

What a good article.

You should contact the bizymoms Oakland community to get your article featured to their large mom community. http://www.bizymoms.com/oakland/index.php

July 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home