Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dinner's in the oven


There's nothing I use more than my trusty old 9-by-13 casserole dish.

From roasted potatoes, to lasagna, to cake, it's a rectangular miracle-worker if you ask me.

On busy nights, or snowed-in nights when we just want a big dose of comfort food, I like to scan the kitchen and throw a combination of food into the Pyrex. Less than an hour later, our house is full of smells and we are ready to dig in and enjoy a good, hearty meal.

I recently started receiving shipments from Door-to-Door Organics. The company will deliver a box of veggies, fruit or a combination every week or two weeks.


"We pride ourselves in ordering produce from the best organic farms we can find," DTDO says on its Web site. "Most of our farms are family owned and we have begun to inspect them personally. It is very important to know where our food comes from, so we invite you to meet some of our farmers."


A list of local farmers appears on the Web site. Of course, this time of year, DTDO has to go outside our state to find fresh produce, but I enjoy the variety and feel good about eating food from family farms.


There are options to substitute and add other items. I like being surprised every week and it's the perfect opportunity to use my favorite weapon: the 9-by-13. My last order yielded: Yukon gold potatoes, carrots with tops, collard greens, cucumbers, Romaine lettuce, Sunburst squash, sweet baby broccoli and celery hearts. I never have cooked a Sunburst squash, but they looked interesting. I have encountered them quite a few times at the farmer's market (photo at right).

It was time to put on my thinking cap.

I decided to go ahead and chop up the squash into 1/2 inch squares with carrots, a few cloves of garlic and half an onion. I thought about adding a potato, which would be delicious, but not all my picky eaters enjoy potatoes, unfortunately. I tossed the veggies with some spices and olive oil and dumped them into the bottom of the casserole dish. I placed four pieces of cod on top of that and added a cup of chicken stock (Kitchen Basics).

A good start, but I decided I needed a crispy crust. Most cod recipes call for a breadcrumb crust, or cheese, but I didn't have enough gf bread (which I have toasted and ground up to make my own breadcrumbs), and one of my picky eaters doesn't eat dairy. So, I grabbed about a cup of almonds and ground them up in a food processor. I simply sprinkled the nuts on the fish and baked it all in a 375 F oven covered with tin foil for 35-40 minutes. The cod was frozen, I should note, so it baked slower and wasn't overly dry.

I served it with a tossed salad and had room in the oven for a pan of Betty Crocker gf brownies. I felt confident my family was getting a wholesome, soothing meal.

It was a huge hit. Hook, line and sinker.

Tip: If you have leftovers, take them out of the dish and store in smaller container. If you put the casserole dish in the fridge, it will be harder to clean later. Instead, fill with warm soapy water and soak overnight. If the pan is really a mess, add some baking soda and scrub in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home