Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Hamming it up


Easter is still pretty far away. But when a friend of mine offered up half a ham she got from a CSA, I jumped. I thought of all the omelets, soups and sandwiches we would be making from a farm fresh ham. I made room in my fridge for the generous gift and began cooking up ideas for how to use it.

But first, I had some questions...

The ham was labeled "smoked." But did that mean cooked? And if it was cooked, did that mean I still had to heat it to a certain temperature? There are intricate instructions at the USDA site, which reveal that an uncooked ham needed to be cooked to 160 F, and a cooked ham 140. There were different rules for farm hams, bone-in hams, smoked cooked hams and smoked hams that needed to be cooked. I was at a loss. Fortunately, the name of the meat processor was on the plastic wrapping. I looked them up, gave them a call and got a great answer.

"It's cooked. Warm it up if you want to, but it's good to go! Enjoy."

I did.

I warmed it in the oven and placed it on a platter. It looked so much like the "Green Eggs and Ham" ham, I had to run with it. I sprayed a skillet with Pam and cracked a few eggs into it. When the whites started to cook, I poured about a cup of water tinted green with food coloring over top and covered. I poached the eggs until done and they came out good and green. The kids LOVED the concept and ate pieces of ham with their eggs. I enjoyed a salad topped with ham cubes and baked a sweet potato as a side dish.

I sliced up the remaining ham, removing the bone and set aside. We have been eating sandwiches and enjoying our feast. Today, I decided put the bone, some of the leftover ham and a bag of dried beans in the slow cooker and 6 hours later had a deeply flavorful soup that was so filling, I don't think I'll eat again for days!

Ham is often gluten-free and many brands say so. Here is a short list of those brands*:
Dietz and Watson
Hormel
Sam's Club spiral ham is labeled gluten-free
Oscar Mayer
Boar's Head

Simple Ham and Bean Soup
Bone from ham with as much extra ham as desired
1 box broth
1 bag plain dried beans, presoaked (I used Kroger brand Cannellini and Pinto mix)
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 sweet onion sliced into large pieces

Put ingredients into very large slow cooker and cook on low 6-8 hours. No salt should be needed, as most ham is salty, and garlic and onion do the job well. Serve with Bob's Red Mill cornbread.

* Ask the butcher to wipe the machine before slicing ham if you chose to have it sliced. A good tip is to go to the meat market early in the morning, so you are the first to be served and avoid cross contamination.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home