Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

A quick one...

It's been a busy week to say the least. It's been storming, busy at work and to top it all off our deep freezer broke. All my hard work had to be tossed out and it's time to start over. More gluten-free shopping and baking is necessary and I'm gearing up. So, just a few updates while I have a minute!

First off, a reader sent me a pile of recipes, which I am extra thankful for. Easy lunch and snack recipes will come in handy as I'm re-stocking our gluten-free shelves.

Second, I'm putting together a desserts menu. It has been, by far, the biggest surprise to me this month that I can find sweet treats wherever I go. And I thought I would lose a few pounds! Look for my top 10 list Saturday, as well as a new Hiller's coupon for a dessert you won't want to miss.

Third, I finally stepped out last night and went to a restaurant. I visited PF Chang's in Dearborn and was more than pleased at the selection. I ordered the Lettuce Wraps, Singapore Noodles and even a Chocolate Lava Cake for dessert! I even took home some fried rice for my picky eater. I went there knowing that the restaurant had a full gf menu, but the other surprise was that on the way (on Michigan Avenue) the sign in front of Andiamo read "Try our gluten-free pasta!"

It's a good time to be gluten-free.

Here is a recipe sent in by reader Penny Ray of Commerce Township. It reminded me of my dinner last night. She said she got the recipe from a friend at church where she and her husband used to attend near Los Angeles. "It came from a Chinese family in Hawaii," she said.

Dickie Chong's Teriyaki Chicken Recipe
1 cup wheat free soy sauce or tamari sauce
1/2 cup water (distilled)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp sherry (optional)
2 cloves crushed garlic
1/4 tsp ginger
dash of hot sauce or pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)

Mix ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil then simmer 1/2
hour. Cool.

Marinate desired amount of chicken in sauce for several hours. Cover and bake at 350
F for 1 hour or put the chicken in slow cooker and pour sauce on top. Cook on
high for a couple of hours and on low the remainder of the day (6
hours or so).


If you have a recipe you would like to share, please send it to recipes@oakpress.com. The best recipe will win a $25 gift certificate to Hiller's at the end of the month!

1 Comments:

Blogger Penny said...

The recipe is so yummy! I'm trying to experiment with a copycat recipe that is soy free...

Thanks for featuring it!

May 13, 2010 at 8:30 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home