Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Easy does it


The flu season sneaked into our home this past week. We thought we would avoid it, but a sneaky bug crawled into our front door right before the storm dumped snow on our streets. My son missed out on his Valentine's Day parties, I missed quite a few days of work and we're all slowly getting back to good health.

I was lucky to have a few frozen tricks up my sleeve. After all, I cooked up a storm as the snow kept us indoors as a treat for my husband for Valentine's Day. I made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce on my big cooking day. I threw in a package of frozen spinach, a ton of fresh mushrooms and the last pound of my grass-fed ground beef I bought in the fall. I used fresh tomatoes frozen from the summer and about 5 cans of tomato puree. All my best, healthful stuff went into that pot. I simmered it for hours and picked up some tin containers to freeze my concoctions in.

My son got some "goulash," which was simply a box of gluten free rice penne cooked and tossed with the sauce (photo on top of page). I spread a couple slices of Tofutti white cheddar cheese on top, wrapped and froze. I made my husband a lasagna (which can be made with gluten-free noodles) or two and froze them with a few containers of the remaining sauce.

It was a good thing I worked ahead, because after my picky eater got sick, and then me, there wasn't time or brainpower to think about dinner. My husband has been living on lasagna and I popped a spaghetti squash in the oven at the beginning of the infestation. I simply cut in half lengthwise, then placed skin side up on a tinfoil-lined baking tray. I baked at 375 F for 35-40 minutes, then scraped a fork across the flesh (photo at right). My kids thought it looked so cool, they gave it a try.

My picky eater -- to my amazement -- ate an entire bowl of it, which I would like to credit for making him feel better.

I topped mine with some sauce and sprinkled with Romano cheese (photo at right). It was delicious and healthful. But a little too late. I woke up with a fever the next morning. Luckily, the others had leftovers to keep them fed while I recovered.

Another thought if you need to keep it easy while people are recovering from illness:

Chef John Yaquinto, owner of C.F. Cucina's just announced that the gluten-free restaurant now offers pizza, lasagna and eggplant dinners in the frozen food aisle at Hillers markets and Foods For Living in East Lansing. I recommend the pizza. It's the only restaurant I trust to have completely gluten-free pizza since cross-contamination is not an issue.

Take care and be well.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home