Blogs > Suddenly Gluten Free

One mom's journey into a gluten-free kitchen after her son was diagnosed with celiac disease and autism. Get gluten-free recipes that even the pickiest eater will gobble up and learn how to plan meals for people with special diets.

Saturday, May 15, 2010

Just desserts

Here is what my pros and cons list looked like when I decided to go gluten-free: Pros -- Find new recipes, gain perspective on what it's like to live a gluten-free life, lose weight; Cons -- Constraints on time and budget, limit to foods I can eat.

Now that I'm smack dab in the middle of my gluten-free May, I have to say I am wrong on more than half of my presumptions. Mostly, I am finding more gluten-free options than I ever thought possible --- or should I say they are finding me.

And the options that are finding me most are chocolate-covered, ooey-gooey desserts. They are popping out of every corner and I'm happy to try them. But I'm not sure that's good for Pro No. 3: losing weight. I would argue that this diet is the same as anyone's: It's best to eat mostly fruits and veggies and lean proteins and sample the really delectable, sugary stuff in moderation.

But at the height of my splurging, I discovered a whole list of ways to indulge. Here are my top picks:

1. Rumi's Passion at Hiller's Markets
Rumi’s Passion is a gluten-free line of baked goods from Steve Ciric, former owner of Westwood Bakery, Superior Bread and Wildflowers. Its certified gluten-free bakery in Northville offers a wide selection of gluten-free products, including the insanely delicious Bumpy Cakes (photo at right). Check out the Rumi's selection at any of the many Hiller's locations. The products do contain dairy.

SPECIAL OFFER: Buy one, get one free Rumi's Passion muffins and cupcakes with a printable coupon here.


2. Kinnikinnick Doughnuts
Longtime my son's favorite brand for breads and muffins, I found myself in front of a container of Kinnikinnick chocolate covered doughnuts (photo above). That was a dangerous situation and I was happy that the products also were dairy, soy and peanut free, so I could share with everyone. I really noticed no difference. Even a gluten-eater would gobble those up! The company's breads and pizza crusts also are something to splurge on, with soft bakery goodness. Check out a wide variety of Kinnikinnick products at Hiller's or at link above.

3. Lucy's Cookies
I nearly walked past a stack of pre-packaged cookies of Starbucks the other day when the words "gluten-free" popped off the package and another dessert was calling my name. I was not disappointed, either. The cinnamon thins tasted just like snicker doodles and I was happy to see the cookies were allergy-friendly and dairy-free! I snagged a bag of chocolate chip cookies for my picky eater and walked away excited that I can have my coffee and a gluten-free treat, too!

4. Sugar Kisses Bakery
Not far from where we live in southern Oakland County, there is a gluten-free bakery we take a special trip to at least twice a month. I love their breads and muffins and when I want to splurge, I get myself a giant brownie. It is worth a trip if you are in the area. The bakery says it uses the freshest ingredients available and as much organic fare as possible. The local business includes a wide range of dietary alternatives including but not limited to Gluten-Free & Vegan baked goods.

5. Kinnikinnick S'Morables
I had fun with these graham cracker-like treat. Add a toasted Kraft marshmallow and a square of gluten-free chocolate and you have yourself a beloved campfire treat. My son likes them with peanut butter on them and I crumble them to make a gluten-free graham crust. They are a perfect lunchbox treat.

6. GIG/Pamela's Challenge recipes
The whole idea for the monthlong gluten-free challenge came from the invitation from the Gluten Intolerance Group and Pamela's products to go gluten-free for one weekend (this one!) in May. I write about it on their blog here. I don't typically use Pamela's products, because they often contain dairy, which my son can not tolerate. But I personally find Pamela's pancake mix to be the best. Check out recipes, such as One Ingredient Chocolate Cake (photo at right) here.

7. Soy Joy Bars
This is a perfect little treat on the go. The new blueberry flavor was filling and sweet enough to feel like a splurge. Check out where to buy Soy Joy Bars here.

8. Lava Cake
Did I mention that P.F. Chang's has gluten-free Chocolate Lava Cake?

9. Celiac Specialties
I haven't been to the store yet, but this Celiac Specialties apple pie (right) is calling my name. Check out the company here or visit the Novi bakery!

10. Make your own treats
I have seen many recipes for crepes and decided to wing it one afternoon. My son helped me mix up a batch of batter and we rolled some bananas and homemade chocolate sauce in them. It worked out deliciously. I had a canister of teff flour my mom picked up at the Dekalb Farmer's Market in Georgia while on a recent family trip. Teff is a grain mostly used in Ethiopian cuisine and creates a darker paste when mixing with wet ingredients. Learn about teff flour here. You can get teff flour at any health section of the regular grocery chains, Whole Foods or Hiller's. Or just use your favorite gluten-free flour or blend. I was just playing with my new flour!

Batter: Mix 1/3 cup gluten-free flour of your choice with 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 egg and milk (I used rice milk) up to 1 cup to make batter very runny. At this time, you can make chocolate sauce, too. I just put 1 tablespoon butter into microwave safe glass Pyrex pourer and cooked for 20 seconds. Add 1 tablespoon cocoa powdered sugar and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar and stir until it makes a chocolate syrup. Add milk or rice milk until it is pourable.


Melt 1 teaspoon gluten-free butter, such as Earth Balance, into nonstick skillet. Pour small ladle of batter into heated butter so it just covers the bottom. Flip after 3 minutes or when it starts to bubble up. Cook a few more minutes until both sides are golden and place on serving plate.


Toppings: Slice banana and place 4 slices in middle of crepe. Pour chocolate sauce over bananas and wrap crepe.Add a few more drops of chocolate and some powdered sugar and you have yourself a quick and tasty dessert or special treat!


Makes 5-6 crepes.

I will try to only eat one.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hello everyone, have you been looking for something delicious and quick to make but completely gluten free so it’s safe for coeliacs to eat ??? So thrilled to come across this Vietnamese noodle soup Happy Pho. It takes 15 mins for me to cook & has super healthy ingredients, so it’s tasty and doesn’t make me feel terrible afterwards like a lot of Asian prepackaged products. I found it at Whole Foods Oakland at:

Whole Foods Market
230 Bay Place,
Oakland, CA 94612
510.834.9800

The incredibly healthy product is now available at "International Foods" section - bottom shelf with the Gluten Free labels

You can check out their website to find the nearest store to your house: http://staranisefoods.com/find-us.aspx

May 17, 2010 at 2:59 AM 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the info on Kinnikinnick brands. I tried the donuts (cinnamon/sugar), and they are absolutely wonderful. I found them at Kroger's in the organic section in the freezer box. In case there are any N. Oakland County readers that can't make it to Hiller's all the time.

June 8, 2010 at 11:29 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home